Apple unveiled iOS 7 back in June, but it won't launch to the public until this Autumn. Behind the scenes Apple are busy testing the operating system and have now released Apple iOS 7 Beta 5 to developers - a week earlier than expected.
Not everyone is a developer , so we thought it might be helpful to document the major changes included in the update. Our friends over at 9to5mac have also been kind enough to post photos of some of the changes, which we've included where appropriate.
Apple iOS 7 Beta 5 - Improvements and New Features
- Settings Menu - Apple have revitalised the Settings app which was previously populated with blue icons. Now it includes multi-coloured icons which make the whole thing more attractive. It'll also make it easier to use long-term with icons becoming easier to find when you get used to new colour-coding.
- Control Center - Apple are giving users the option to disable the new swipe-able "Control Center" completely in the new version of iOS 7. Alternatively, you can disable it in applications which should stop it accidentally popping-up when your playing games or watching videos.
- Boot Screen - After installing the update many iPhone 5 owners have noticed the new colour-coded boot-screen. So, if you've got a black iPhone you'll get a black boot-screen and those with a white iPhone will get a white version - a neat idea.
- Banner Notifications - Users can now pull-down banner notifications to view more information.
- Other Visual Tweaks - You also get a new Twitter icon and power-off slider bar, while the in-call icons have also been improved. Slowly, the user-interface is getting more and more finished - moving towards the standards you'd expect from Apple.
Apple iOS 7 is expected to be released to the public at the same time as the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C are expected to be unveiled (September 2013). Presumably, it'll come pre-loaded on the new iPhone models and will also be available to download on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 , iPad and iPad Mini.
By Simon Thomas on 14th August, 2013